The movement to end New Jersey’s failed marijuana policies relies on you making your voice heard. Your representatives need to hear from you.
Use the suggested script below for talking points if you need them.
"Hello, my name is [your name] and I live in [your address or neighborhood]. I’m calling to urge [title/name of representative] to support legalizing, taxing, and regulating marijuana. S830 is a great start but legalization must be done fairly and allow New Jerseyans to participate in the new economic opportunities.
New Jersey makes approximately 25,000 marijuana possession arrests per year, and Blacks communities bear the brunt of enforcement. Blacks are three times more likely to be arrested than whites, despite similar usage rates. Legalization must help heal the harm done to low-income communities and communities of color.
Legalizing recreational marijuana is just a start. Legislation must account for the harms people have endured as a result of our unjust prohibition laws.
We need new marijuana laws that:
- Provide for automatic expungements of prior records. Otherwise, an expungement costs hundreds of dollars and requires a long, complicated process.
- Provide meaningful ways for New Jersey’s entrepreneurs and small business owners to participate in the legal market.
- Provide concrete measures that ensure reinvestment in communities, including low-income communities and communities of color that have disproportionately been the targets of the drug war.
- Allow for home grow, which provides people with limited mobility or low incomes greater opportunity to access marijuana and allows medical patients to grow the strains they need.
- Use the projected $300 million in annual tax revenues for education, drug treatment and prevention, and justice reinvestment, such as re-entry and job training programs.
Please support legalizing, taxing, and regulating marijuana like alcohol for adults. Thank you."
Did you call?
Please let us know how your call went by quickly filling out this short form!